Friday, November 30, 2007

Sweet Nothings

Sweet Nothings
The Abduction of Psyche
The British Are Coming
The Broken Pitcher
'She must be a pretty old woman now,' he said, staring meditatively into the binnacle and then jerking a sharp glance at Harrison, who was steering a point off the course. ¡¡¡¡'When did you last write to her?' ¡¡¡¡He performed his mental arithmetic aloud. 'Eighty-one; no- eighty-two, eh? no- eighty-three? Yes, eighty-three. Ten years ago. From some little port in Madagascar. I was trading.' ¡¡¡¡'You see,' he went on, as though addressing his neglected mother across half the girth of the earth, 'each year I was going home. So what was the good to write? It was only a year. And each year something happened, and I did not go. But I am mate now, and when I pay off at 'Frisco, maybe with five hundred dollars, I will ship myself on a windjammer round the Horn to Liverpool, which will give me more money; and then I will pay my passage from there home. Then she will not do any more work.'

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet Nothings"

Anonymous said...

Sweet Nothings"

Anonymous said...

"Sweet Nothings"

Anonymous said...

"Sweet Nothings"