Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
girl with a pearl earring vermeer
Gustav Klimt Kiss painting
Head of Christ
used to watch the tramps, as they came into the town on those wet evenings, at dusk, and limped past, with their bundles drooping over their shoulders at the ends of sticks, came freshly back to me; fraught, as then, with the smell of damp earth, and wet leaves and briar, and the sensation of the very airs that blew upon me in my own toilsome journey. ¡¡¡¡The opening of the little door in the panelled wall made me start and turn. Her beautiful serene eyes met mine as she came towards me. She stopped and laid her hand upon her bosom, and I caught her in my arms. ¡
oil painting
¡¡¡'Agnes! my dear girl! I have come too suddenly upon you.' ¡¡¡¡'No, no! I am so rejoiced to see you, Trotwood!' ¡¡¡¡'Dear Agnes, the happiness it is to me, to see you once again!' ¡¡¡¡I folded her to my heart, and, for a little while, we were both silent. Presently we sat down, side by side; and her angel-face was turned upon me with the welcome I had dreamed of, waking and sleeping, for whole years.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may"