Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Charles Chaplin paintings

Charles Chaplin paintings
Diane Romanello paintings
Diego Rivera paintings
Don Li-Leger paintings
"Oh, my lord the king, an thou canst pity the lost, have pity upon me! I am innocent-neither hath that wherewith I am charged been more than but lamely proved-yet I speak not of that; the judgment is gone forth against me and may not suffer alteration; yet in mine extremity I beg a boon, for my doom is more than I can bear. A grace, a grace, my lord the king! in thy royal compassion grant my prayer-give commandment that I be hanged!"
Tom was amazed. This was not the outcome he had looked for.
"Odds my life, a strange boon! Was it not the fate intended thee?"
"Oh, good my liege, not so! It is ordered that I be boiled alive!"
The hideous surprise of these words almost made Tom spring from his chair. As soon as he could recover his wits he cried out:
"Have thy wish, poor soul! an thou had poisoned a hundred men thou shouldst not suffer so miserable a death."
The prisoner bowed his face to the ground and burst into passionate expressions of gratitude-ending with:
"If ever thou shouldst know misfortune-which God forbid!-may thy goodness to me this day be remembered and requited!"
Tom turned to the Earl of Hertford, and said:
"My lord, is it believable that there was warrant for this man's ferocious doom?"
"It is the law, your grace-for poisoners. In Germany coiners be boiled to death in oil-not cast in of a sudden, but by a rope let down into the oil by degrees, and slowly; first the feet, then the legs, then-"
"Oh, prithee, no more, my lord, I cannot bear it!" cried Tom, covering his eyes with his hands to shut out the picture. "I beseech your good lordship that order be taken to change this law-oh, let no more poor creatures be visited with its tortures."

No comments: