Saturday, August 30, 2008

Edward Hopper Ground Swell painting

Edward Hopper Ground Swell paintingEdgar Degas Woman Combing Her Hair paintingFrederic Edwin Church Autumn painting
much!" Classmate X strode away -- plunged, really, still hatting his visage -- and hands restrained me from following, but I called at his retreating back: "I'll bet you sent him to New Tammany so he wouldn'thave to suppress his self!"
What held him in range of my mad declarations -- taunts they were, as much as insights, made in despair now of ending the Boundary Dispute by reasoning with the principals -- was that an agitated group not unlike ours had come across the room to meet us, at its center Chancellor Rexford. Classmate X's pate had gone quite white; Rexford's face was uncharacteristically grim. Photographic lights flashed all about us now; plainclothes guards and other officials on both sides conferred in furious whispers, pointed to me, consulted papers, shrugged their shoulders angrily. We were a large ring now, enclosing Chancellor Rexford and Classmate X, myself to one side. Neither leader seemed willing to initiate the ceremonial handshake; both turned severely to their aides. Still inspired by desperation, I asserted to Classmate X, "That kidnap-story was only a pretext; you were hoping Leonid wouldtransfer !"

No comments: