Monday, February 16, 2009

Andrea Mantegna Adoration of the Shepherds

Andrea Mantegna Adoration of the ShepherdsAndrea Mantegna Adoration of the MagiThomas Moran Entrance to the Grand Canal, Venice
What've I got to do all this for? You don't care about Roger neither, any more than Chef does. I'm the only one that-" Another smack, on the other leg.
"None of that nonsense. I'm a Parslow, same as Roger's father. He's my second cousin. I bet you didn't know that, 'cause I bet and polite, smile nicely and don't you ever say Dunno when someone asks you a question."
She dragged the best dress onto Lyra's skinny frame, tugged it straight, fished a bit of red ribbon out of the tangle in a drawer, and brushed Lyra's hair with a coarse brush.
"If they'd let me know earlier, I could've given your hair a proper wash. Well, that's too bad. As long as they don't look too close...There. Now stand up straight. Where's you never asked, Miss Lyra. I bet it never occurred to you. Don't you chide me with not caring about the boy. God knows, I even care about you, and you give me little enough reason and no thanks."She seized the flannel and rubbed Lyra's knees so hard she left the skin bright pink and sore, but clean."The reason for this is you're going to have dinner with the Master and his guests. I hope to God you behave. Speak when you're spoken to, be quiet

No comments: